Tuesday, May 18, 2010

DAY 23 FROM SOUTH TO NORTH - TOP END (NORTHERN TERRITORY) TRIP

17 May 2010

ORMISTON GORGE – OCHRE PITS – SERPENTINE GORGE – ELLERY WATERHOLE – ALICE SPRINGS


I mentioned yesterday that we were pondering whether man or nature grafted the red flowers and other leaves onto another bush. Well we have an answer today. It is mistletoe and is considered a parasite. A tour guide gave us the answer.


This morning we revisited Ormiston Gorge. The colours were quite different from yesterday.


On the way to the gorge there is a lower ridge with a single tree that stnds out from a far.


The I finally got to go and see the Ochre pit.


Soft stone, colourfl swirls and lines - what a sight. It looked so much better than I could have imagined. Ochre has played such an important part in indigeneous life. Not only was it used as medicine, for ceremonies, decorations but it was also something they traded. Only the men were allowed to get the ochre from the pit but they had to make sure the women always had enough for their ceremonies.


A lizard was sunning itself on the cliff edge.


Wild flowers were growing high up on the rock wall.


Birds were flying here, there and everywhere.


What a interesting place.


We then travelled down to Serpentine Gorge.


I was not as impressed with this gorge. Other travellers had told us that the lookout was really worth going to. We started to make our way up but I decided it was not for me and I had not taken my walking stick with me. Hubby went on alone. He came back with very sore legs and said it was not an easy walk and required concentration to make sure you did not slip on the rocks on the way down. He nearly decided to turn back without finishing it but he soldiered on. So I was glad I gave it a miss. Whilst the views were good I was not sure that he thought it was worth the effort.



Finally we went to Ellery Creek Waterhole. What a beautiful place!


So peaceful, except for the birds, calm, tranquil. Just loved it.



The cycads were high up on a rocky ledge above the waterhole.


Finally back to Alice Springs for the night. We needed to fuel up, top up our water, stock up, cryovac the meat and get ready to go to the East MacDonnell Ranges tomorrow.

No comments: