Monday, September 3, 2012


22-23 July 2012

STAGE 3 CSR Days 20-21
BREADEN HILLS, BREADEN POOL, GODFREY’s TANK, Well 48 – Yawalyawul, well 49 – Lampu, well 50 – jikarn (82 km)

A howling wind came in at night and was around till about 9:00 am. It then calmed down to something stronger than a breeze but not quite a wind. Moving air is what it was.

After engines were reving, the usual morning call of „Gas off“ saw all the men jump out of the cabins and go around the side to turn off the gas. A frequent morning ritual. Rarely no one gets out at the call before moving off.

An interesting day today.

The Breaden Hills are just spectacular. One looked like it had a chimney top.

Wind and water over thousands of years had carved the hills into interesting formations. A short walk into Breaden Pool revealed a lerge rock hole/cavern. When the rain comes it would be a beautiful sight as water falls would run into the pool.

A bit further on on the other side after a climb over a rocky hill and a walk was Godfrey’s Tank. I chickened out of going up after climbing half way up. I was told that it was very interesting. Hubby took some photos so I could see the pertoglyphs that were on the rocks.

We met a convoy of three vehicles going south whilst here.

On the way to Well 48 we came across a flowering corktree. There are quite a few cork trees on the track but this was the first flowering one we had seen.

Well 48 was a depression in the ground where once had stood a well.

From Well 48 to 49 the spinifex was very green. You would think you could see fields of grass. How deceptive – it is the sharp spinifex. We are out of dune country and the landscape is quite flat.

Well 49 had good water and had been reconditioned. Not far from the well was the grave of Jack Smith who died droving in 1939.

Lots of termite mounds were in the vicinity of the well.

As we drove to Well 50 we got somewhat concerned as we could see smoke in the horizon. After sometime we determined that it seemed contained as it was not spreading. We camped not far from Well 50 on a claypan. No spinifex here. The earth is extremely dry – as if it has not seen rain for many years.

Some good logs were found so we had a good campfire and decided to have a lay day before continuing on and going our separate ways at the end of the track. At about 8:00pm the moving air hit again and we stood with our backs to the fire to warm up the back of our necks. Somewhat of a ritual by now.

Next morning four of us set off in search of the soak. After walking close to an hour we decided to head back. The temperature rises very quickly in the morning and it was getting very hot by the time we got back to camp 6.2 km later.

The men had quite a lay day until, after photographing the bottom of one Oka and then their own, someoone found a hair line crack via the photograph on the welding done earlier on the track. So several batteries were again hooked up and a weld was done to fix the problem.

Some of us again had the golden opportunity to have a shower but it ended up being quite a comedy. The water on the ground created a quadmire of mud. So the challenge became how to avoid getting it on yourself. So the second person had to bring an additional mat so as to avoid standing on the mud. But the gas ran out and we heard some shrieks as the second person copt a cold shower and quickly retired back to thrit van. By the time my turn came the mud was quite a problem. The gas bottle had been replaced and I enjoyed a very quick but pleasant shower.

I spent the day making bread, pavlova and organising our photos as we were all exchanging what we had taken. I had taken tons so I needed to cull drastically.

Our campfire tonight was absolutely to die for. Just fantastic. The accordion was out and pavlova was shared by all.

No comments: