Thursday, March 13, 2008

DAY 12 KALGOORLIE - SNAKE HILL

11 March 2008

DAY 12 Pilbara – Kimberley Trip

Today it started to warm up again.

Last night we finally solved the question of how to post photos. So I spent some time in the library today updating all the postings. So please have a look over previous posts as the photos are now on. Also we really enjoy receiving comments from you. Please keep them up.

After the library a visit to the post office was necessary as I finally finished making a baby shawl. I packed it and all other wool I had taken with me and posted them to my daughter. It is just too hot to knit or crotchet as we travel. I also finally drew up the templates for our Dye Hards friendhip quilt blocks. I posted them as well as the postcards to the older granchildren. Since we first started travelling in our Oka in August 2004 I have sent the grandkids a postcard from every town we visit (if they had postcards of the town) so that they could plot our trip on a map that we had left with them of Australia. This way they were being introduced to many parts of Australia. I still do this.

Back to Kalgoorlie and our trip. I really like Kalgoorlie. The locals are very friendly. The town is clean and lots of bougainvilleas are in bloom wherever you look. After another visit to Kalgoorlie Oka to pick up a few additional spares we left in the afternoon. We pulled up at the Miner’s Hall of Fame. It was so hot and we were just too mentally tired to spend a couple of hours having a look. So we pushed north.

A road sign alerted us to possible road trains of up to 53.5 metres long. Hope we don’t run into any of those today.

Stopped at Menzies and then continued onto Snake Hill via Sandstone Road.



What a beautiful view from here of Lake Ballard. More importantly – it had a considerable amount of water. I think we were witnessing a rather rare event as the lake was last full from March to July in 1995. Before that, since European settlement, it has only been full in 1929, 1963, July 1973 and 1974, May 1975 and September 1986. From where we were it looked full. Lake Ballard is listed on the Register of the National Estate as it is deemed to be a nationally significant ecosystem to be protected.


We decided to spend the night here. After the accordion had a few repairs done I was serenaded as the sun set and the meal was being cooked.

No comments: