Tuesday, July 14, 2009

DAY 25 EUROPE TRIP - LITHUANIA – Kaunas

10 June 2009

DAY 25 EUROPE TRIP
LITHUANIA – Kaunas

Another overcast and coldish day today as we set off for Kaunas. It is supposed to be summer. The flowers are blooming everywhere but it feels like autumn in Australia.

First stop was at my second cousins place. We hardly recognised the place due to its renovation.

Hubby discovered some medieval armour and just couldn’t resist trying it on.

After lunch we headed off to the Čiulionis Art Gallery as I had contacted them to ask whether I could see the only surviving art works from my grandfather’s art collection at Misiunai. During the soviet occupation of Lithuania, after my grandparents were deported to Siberia, their house was bulldozed and no one knows what happened to the substantial art collection that was housed there. I was particularly taken by the two bronze cast portraits of my grandparents by Juozas Zikaras.


After leaving the gallery we passed the War Museum and the monument jut outside it.

We caught up with some fellow Canberrans and decided to visit the extravagant Acropolis shopping centre with its huge ice skating ring. I can just imagine the kids wanting to go shopping so that they could go skating whilst mum shopped.

As we hadn’t been to Pažaislis and its monastery during our previous visits to Kaunas we decided to head that way. Due to the long hours of daylight we had lost all sense of time so by the time we got there it was closed. We walked its perimeter and admired it from outside.

We returned to my relatives place for the evening and caught up on all the news.

No comments: