Friday, May 15, 2009

Winter in Jindabyne

18 June to August 2008

WINTER IN JINDABYNE AND SOME QUILTING DONE



We settled into our daughter’s house in Jindabyne for the winter. The start of the season was slow. Mid June and hardly any snow.



The water in the dam was very low.

Then in July the snow started to come.

My daughter had warned me about the winds in Jindabyne. Well we finally experienced them. They are very strong and at times it felt like a train roaring past. And with the winds we finally got the big dump. The snow guns were also busy making snow.


We even got quite a bit of snow in Jindy. Hubby was working as a ticket scanner at the resort so early morning starts was the norm for the season.

I enjoyed being močiute (grandma) – spending time with my grandkids. We saw a lot of all the grandkids in the snow as all ecept the two youngest boys were keen skiers, even the 3 year old.

I tried to get back into quilting and enjoyed the Thursday quilting group meetings of the local quilters. I really looked forward to these sessions. I made a wall quilt “Magarac’ (Donkey) for my daughter’s friend. I don’t usually make quilts from other people’s patterns but this was a special request so I made the wall quilt based on Hot Possum’s ‘Wonkey Donkey’ Pattern.

As she was also into Scooby doos I quilted some into the piece.


I kept working on a quilt for my friend’s son. It just seemed to be a jinxed quilt. I had to lay out the blocks to arrange them in a pleasing way but there was no space in the house big enough to do so. So I had to wait till Thursdays to work on it at the space used by the Jindabyne quilters. I also did some experimentation on my pieces for the experimentalists. Every second Wednesday I drove to Canberra to attend by friendship group meetings. It was strange coming to Canberra and not staying at our house as we had house sitters still in it. I caught up with all the blocks I had to make for each member of the group.
Friends came to visit so we explored Cooma and surrounding area.

We had a great time seeing the environment through the eyes of those who had not seen the area before. As the season proved to be great I spent more and more time driving up to the resort. Sponors is a real landmark on the way.

Several times I was babysitting at Willow watching the icicles melt along the roof line.

I really enjoyed observing the ever changing snow environment whilst the older grandchildren skied and I stayed with the younger ones.





Drives to Guthega were always very special. The Guthega Dam covered in snow is always an awesome sight.

Finally the end of winter started to sneak up on us. How quickly the months flew past.

No comments: